Visitors to the site can see a reconstruction of the early log fort and the stockade, as well as original buildings from the 1840–70s. Exhibits detailing the history of the fort are located in the Commissary Visitor Center on Garrison Hill. The site also hosts a number of special living history events and programs throughout the year. Fort Gibson is a National Historic Landmark.
The site features a log stockade that was reconstructed under the Works Progress Administration 1937. The structure underwent extensive restoration beginning in 2013, and reopened to the public in 2016. Funding for this project was provided by grants from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation’s TEA-21 program and Save America’s Treasures from the National Park Service. The grants, with matching state funds, made it possible to complete what was ultimately $1.5 million in restoration work.
Last modified: April 10, 2023