The town of Fort Gibson is home to many historical venues, from the Fort Gibson Historical Site, the Garret Home, the Cherokee National Cemetery and the Fort Gibson National Cemetery. Fort Gibson has many days worth of exploring to do.
FORT GIBSON HISTORICAL SITE
The Fort Gibson Historic Site is a National Historic Landmark built in 1824. The historic site consists of the stockade itself and many supporting buildings like a hospital, officers quarters, soldiers quarters, houses built by top officers, stockade and other interesting buildings. Walking trail tours are offered by the Oklahoma Historical Society who operates the site. On site is a gift shop and museum with many period artifacts. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday 10 am – 5 pm. School field trips are welcome as are the general public. Admission is $7 for adults, $5 for seniors, $4 and military and students, children 5 and under are free.
- Public Bake Day – last day in March
- Fall Bake Day – second Saturday in November
- 1848 Candlelight Tour – December 9-10
For Group Tours and Special Programs information contact the Fort Gibson Historic Site by phone at (918) 478-4088 or in person at 907 N. Garrison, P.O.Box 457, Fort Gibson, OK, 74434.
This building is in the National register of Historic Places.
Built in 1867 and was part of the Fort Gibson Fort established in Indian Territory in 1824. The privately owned home has been in the Judge Claude Garrett family since 1924. That year young lawyer Garrett and his bride, the former Katherine Oldham, ignored the advice of elders and bought a ramshackle stone house looking across the weed-infested parade ground of the decayed fort… Come and visit for the rest of the story!
FORT GIBSON NATIONAL CEMETERY
The 1st national cemetery in Oklahoma. The beautiful land of Fort Gibson is the resting place for many fallen heroes. Established in 1868, has graves from every war since 1812.
Fort Gibson is home to many more historical sites, for more information please contact the Chamber offices or the Oklahoma Historical Society.